The fast food style restaurant announced in a press release today that by 2016 it would be getting rid of all additives in their foods. “Panera was founded on the belief that quick food could be quality food,” said Ron Shaich, founder, Chairman and CEO. “We started by baking bread from fresh dough each day in our cafes. That commitment led to others – like our early decision to remove artificial trans-fats, post calories on menu boards and invest in serving chicken raised without antibiotics. As we continue to make conscious choices about the food we source and serve, we realized it’s also important to share what we’ve
accomplished and where we’re going.”
According to USA Today, these are some of the current additives that will be wiped away from the menu:
• Deli smoked turkey: potassium lactate, sodium phosphate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite and sodium diacetate.
• Horseradish: calcium disodium EDTA.
• Citrus Pepper Chicken: maltodextrin, potassium lactate.
• Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus: ascorbic acid and tocopherol, tara gum, carrageenan, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate.
• Summer corn chowder: tapioca Dextrin, modified corn starch, autolyzed yeast extract, maltodextrin, coconut oil derived from triglycerides, artificial flavors.
• Roast beef: caramel color.
This is awesome news! Now if more companies would follow suit, we could be on our way to a food revolution!